Home » Galleries » Faith & Belief

Valentine’s: A Day Dedicated to Love

Valentine’s Day is named after a Roman Christian called Valentine, who was martyred on February 14 in A.D. 269.

Its evolution over the centuries is shrouded in myth and fanciful interpretation.

Valentine’s Day first became linked to romantic love – or so it is interpreted - by a fictional poem written by Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14 century.

In the last couple of hundred years the sending of greeting cards has flourished worldwide.

The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that 1 billion Valentine’s cards are sent each year, making it the second card-sending holiday after Christmas!

The association also estimates that women send 85 percent of all valentines, leaving men with just 15 percent! (And that's your answer to the Quiz question 5)

The top card here is one I embroidered in traditional Valentine's style, while the bottom card has the Greek words "Hronia Polla", or "Many Years" in English.

I wish all my visitors Valentine's wishes for many years indeed!

Valentine's Day card

Many Years!